Free Knitting Pattern from Lion Brand Yarn, formatted for input to refreshable Braille displays or Braille software
Knit Frog Balloon Animal
Lion Brand® Vanna's Choice® Baby
Pattern Number: L0209
SKILL LEVEL: Easy + (Level 3)
SIZE: One Size
About 8 in. (20.5 cm) tall
840-168 Vanna's Choice® Baby Yarn: Mint
Light sage green
Quantity needed: 1 Skeins
Lion Brand Knitting Needles- Size 6 [4.00 mm]
Quantity needed: 1
Lion Brand Large-Eye Blunt Needles (Set of 6)
Quantity needed: 1
Small amount of pink yarn
2 plastic safety eyes, 9 mm diameter
Kfb (knit in front and then back) Knit into front and then back of same st - 1 st increased.
Frog is worked by knitting a long strip. The strip is seamed to make a tube, then stuffed. The stuffed tube is tied off with yarn at various points to shape the Frog– a construction inspired by twisting balloons to make animals.
Cast on 6 sts.
Row 1: Knit.
Row 2: Purl.
Row 3 (Increase Row): Kfb in each st across - 12 sts at the end of Row 3.
Rows 4-26: Continue in St st (k on RS, p on WS) as established.
Row 27: Rep Row 3 - 24 sts.
Continue in St st until piece measures about 37 in. (94 cm) from beginning, end with a WS row (the last row you work should be a purl row).
Next Row (Decrease Row): *K2tog; rep from * across - 12 sts.
Next Row: Purl.
Next Row: Rep Decrease Row - 6 sts.
Do not bind off. Cut yarn, leaving a long tail. Thread tail through remaining sts, pull tightly to gather together, and knot.
Measure 2 1/2 in. (6.5 cm) from cast on edge and, following package directions, attach one safety eye. Attach second safety eye 2 1/2 in. (6.5 cm) from first eye.
Beginning at bound off end, and adding stuffing as you go, seam long sides of strip to make a tube. Seam cast on end closed.
Note: If desired, after wrapping and tying, you can sew a few stitches to secure the shaping.
Cut 12 in. (30.5 cm) lengths of yarn for ties. Wrap each length around stuffed tube and knot securely, placing lengths as follows:
1. Wrap and tie first length about 3 in. (7.5 cm) from cast on edge for first half of head.
2. Wrap and tie 3 in. (7.5 cm) from first tie for second half of head.
3. Wrap and tie 3 1/2 in. (9 cm) from second ear tie for first front leg.
4. Wrap and tie 3 1/2 in. (9 cm) from first front leg tie for second front leg.
5. Wrap and tie 7 in. (18 cm) from second front leg tie for mouth section.
6. Wrap and tie 3 1/2 in. (9 cm) from mouth tie for spine.
7. Wrap and tie 7 in. (18 cm) from spine tie for first back leg.
8. Wrap and tie 7 in. (18 cm) from first back leg tie for second back leg.
9. Fold over and tie together the eye sections. Fold over the front legs to meet under eyes, wrap the mouth segment around and tie together.
10. Bring the spine behind the front legs and tie together at bottom. At this same tie, fold back legs into sitting position at each side and tie together.
With pink yarn, embroider a straight stitch mouth.
Weave in ends.
ABBREVIATIONS / REFERENCES
k = knit
k2tog = knit 2 together
p = purl
rep = repeat(s)(ing)
RS = right side
St st = Stockinette stitch
st(s) = stitch(es)
WS = wrong side
Every effort has been made to have the knitting and crochet instructions accurate and complete. We cannot be responsible for variance of individual knitters and crocheters, human errors, or typographical mistakes.
We want your project to be a success! If you need help with this or any other Lion Brand pattern, e-mail support is available 7 days per week by mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For over a thousand free patterns available in versions for the vision-impaired, visit our website http://www.LionBrand.com
To order, visit our website http://www.e-yarn.com or call: (800) 258-9276 any time!
Copyright ©1998-2011 Lion Brand Yarn Company, all rights reserved.
No pattern or other material may be reproduced -- mechanically, electronically, or by any other means, including photocopying -- without written permission of Lion Brand Yarn Company.
Click here for Non-Braille display: View With Images